Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2009

April 6, 2009

Good Morning Developers,

With this being my first blog post as I cover Amy's responsibilities while she is on maternity leave, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I am a full-time online Communications/Business instructor for GEN and have worked on course development since I started teaching online. I really enjoy exploring and implementing new strategies to really engage our students in the online classroom. If you ever have any questions while you are working on your developments, please don't hesitate to let me know. And I also look forward to learning from each of you as I explore your development courses.

As you are working on your development, I encourage you to create grading rubrics for assignments and essay exams. Grade Inflation has been a hot topic in recent years and here is a great article discussing various perspectives and research on the issue. http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/03/12/grades

An excellent way to curb grade inflation is by putting into place grading standards and expectations. They not only guide students as they are completing their work, they also help guide instructors during the evaluation stage. An excellent resource to assist in creating grading rubrics is at: http://rubistar.com/

I look forward to working with each of you, and once again, please let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great first week of the quarter!

Heather

No comments: